Friday, January 27, 2012

2012 GOALS

Rambling.....

A few weeks ago, we welcomed a new year and like millions of others, I decided to set some goals for myself. The problem I often face is that I write my goals and don't read them often enough.Sometimes the goals are too specific and I start to waffle on them and eventually fail.  FOR EXAMPLE: Every year I commit to exercising 3 times a week. I may get off track being sick/out of town and only exercise once that week, then I feel bad and somehow quit exercising completely because I can't seem to re-motivate myself.

I seem to set the same goals every year - I would consider them LIFE goals that I just renew each year. Specifics for the goals are different based on the my progress the year before and the situation in my life at the time. I am reminded of a few scriptures that explain my thoughts....

"For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts..." (2Nephi 28:30)
This scripture teaches me that I cannot do or be everything all at once...the Lord will help me to learn and grow according to my willingness. Growth happens a little at a time.  My goals adjust to my growth.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." (Ecc 3:1)
I need to accept that I can't do it all at once, all the time. For example, I no longer have countless hours to devote to my family history research. At this time in my life I feel like I CAN devote a little time each week to my personal and family journal for my posterity. I CAN also spend a little time each week to index records in familysearch.org. I PROMISE that there will be another season for me to devote countless hours to my family history research - but not right now.

So, THIS year I decided to make 1-2 word goals. Each goal represents a whole vision in my head of my self-expectations. Based on the season of my life, I will fulfill each goal to the best I can. I'd like to post these somewhere in my home so I can see them often. So, here it goes...(in no particular order)

SCRIPTURES
PRAYER
SERVICE
TESTIMONY
KAIROS TIME
FRIENDSHIP
JOURNAL
FAMILY HISTORY
EXERCISE
D.I.Y.
GARDEN
READ
PUNCTUAL
BLOG
1 YEAR SUPPLY
PHOTO ALBUMS

3 comments:

  1. What a great list, Dana! So far my only written down goals have to do with books I want to read this year...I really like this approach you're taking and wish you great success this year! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to approach your goals. I wish you the best of luck this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I completely agree - the goals are usually the same, but tailored to the stage I'm in. I might have to follow your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete