Thursday, September 3, 2009

Our latest & hopefully last hospital stay

So, last Saturday (August29) we took the boys to the on-call pediatrician because Josiah slept from 9am-5:30pm without waking up to eat. He is our on-the-clock 3hour eater so this was VVVERRY weird! Not only was he skipping meals, but he had a fever and gave a painful cry when we picked him up. The pediatrician did a spinal tap on him & the tests came back positive for Meningitis. We immediately went to the hospital (9pm), where they ran the same tests on Arlo & admitted both babies. Jason and I set up camp in the hospital room and made a few phone calls. After hours of hooking up monitors & IVs to both boys, they finally ate and got to sleep about 5am. They had a tricky time with Josiah's IV because he was so dehydrated. Poor little guys were so tired and hungry.

If you are unfamiliar with meningitis, it is swelling and irritation (inflammation) of the membranes covering the brain and spinal cord. There are two types: VIRAL & BACTERIAL. Viral is something that the boys could fight off, but bacterial is MUCH more serious & could cause permanent brain damage if left untreated. All the test results would not arrive for another 48-72 hours, but in the meantime, the doctor treated both boys with antibiotics as if they had the bacterial meningitis. It was scary for Jason and me to see nurses come in the room with face masks & gowns.

TREATMENT:
LOTS & LOTS of faithful prayers and fasting by all our family, friends & ward members.3
Father's blessings.

THE RESULT
Viral meningitis. The boys' fevers went away, they started eating again & they came home Tuesday morning. We are so very grateful for all the faith & prayers from you. Jason and I could feel the comfort from those prayers and the boys were healed quickly.

UPDATE:
The boys are back to their cute little selves. They are holding a good temperature & they are back to eating regularly. We are so grateful for their sweet spirits; we are truly blessed and honored to be their parents. I only hope that we can be the parents they deserve and that we can teach them to always choose the right.

Here are some recent photos of the boys...Arlo punching his brother

All dressed up and nowhere to go...these are my little missionaries =)Little Arlo passed out on the boppy

Josiah looking very proper while he sleeps...

12 comments:

  1. What a scare. I am glad they are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. phew! I'm so glad everything turned out - those little guys need a break from the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dana, how scary! I am so glad they are okay!

    That blanket is SO perfect! I love it! And your two handsome boys are perfect too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you guys! Thank you for the updates on those angel boys. I wish I could hold them! They are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoot Dana. How do you think they got meningitis? That scares me so bad. I'm so glad that it turned out okay. They are looking so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb,

    I cannot believe all this happened and I had NO idea...I am so sorry that I wasn't there for you!! I'll call you tomorrow. Love, Mon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're all so relieved out here. Eliza kept asking how come they're in the hospital and if you had to go live in the hospital again too. We said a lot of prayers and are so thrilled that they're okay and back to normal (so to speak:). We love you guys and miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Dana, this brought tears to my eyes to read. Tears of sympathy towards what must have been a horrifying and scary experience, and tears of relief that they're fine. What a brave mother you are. I'm so glad to hear they're fine. I'm sure it's something that will take you a long time to forget. Love and miss you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah!! i'm so glad they're okay. i heard they were sick. that was totally scary for you guys, i'm sure! and so glad you're blogging. they are too cute to not have a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad that everything is okay. What a scare!!! Aren't you glad for faith and prayers!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I definately need to check on you more often!!! Did I tell you how cute your announcement was? I LOVED it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a blessing! Your boys are adorable.

    ReplyDelete