Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Eat Your Vegetables!!

I am OFFICIALLY a gardener!!! I have a crop and it is edible!! Since I have never grown a garden, I decided to start little - a 6'x12' raised garden with zucchini, squash, green beans & carrots. I had to invest in the fence around to keep out the DOZENS of rabbits that hang out in the yard.  I planted the first week of March and we started getting vegetables last week. Every morning for the past week the twins and I go outside and ceremoniously collect anything that's ready to eat. So far we have gotten 3 zucchini and LOTS of green beans.

Obviously I planted too much because the garden is like a JUNGLE!

The boys are so excited to eat the vegetables that we usually eat them with our breakfast. Kids excited to eat their vegetables?????? - A MOTHER'S DREAM COME TRUE!

I haven't gotten creative with cooking them because roasting them has been such a hit. We cover them in some olive oil, cracked pepper, garlic salt and LOTS of Parmesan cheese - Bake at 400' for 10 minutes.

The boys help me snap the beans each morning. Here we are this morning getting ready to bake our vegetables!!

So, is the $50 I invested in this tiny garden worth the money?? ABSOLUTELY! Jason and I have been brainstorming for next spring to expand the garden to grow LOTS more.
  • I have learned basic gardening skills.
  • My children can experience the fun of gardening.
  • We have fresh, organic produce every day.
  • This is a small step towards becoming self sufficient and providing for my family.
SIDE NOTE: Arlo calls it "You-zucchini" - not sure why, but it's pretty darn cute!

1 comment: