Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What Matters Most

This past week I have been feeling a little depressed, lonely, exhausted, useless, and overwhelmed with life....like I'm just running on the treadmill of life. Do you ever feel like 24 hours isn't enough time to get things done in a day, so instead, you just sit on the couch and do nothing? That has been me the past week... until this evening.

And I worry about my boys - am I doing everything right? I'm pretty tough on myself as a mother. The first 2 years of life, I just need to keep them alive and healthy; but now.... They are getting the age that I could potentially scar them for life....I have to be SO CAREFUL about discipline, what I say, how I say it, am I hugging & kissing them enough?, how can I teach them Gospel concepts so they understand and want to choose the right?, am I treating all my children with fairness?, etc, etc...

ANYWAYS....I had one of those perfect moments tonight with my family and I wish I could freeze time. Jason was washing the van in the driveway while my boys were running around shirt-less and getting sprayed with the water hose. (note- it's still 80 degrees here) I sat in the lawn chair holding my sweet baby and just enjoyed the moment. I wish I had a camera, but I didn't want to go in the house to get it because I would have lost a minute of that precious experience. Instead of a photo, I want to sear that memory and joy into my heart forever.

It's not about how clean my house is, how gourmet my food is, how crafty I am or how perfect my hair looks (none of which I claim to do, that's just wishful thinking!) It's all about those perfect moments with my children and husband....the memories they will have washing the van with their daddy, playing pirates together, riding bikes to the mailbox, or snuggling together in our bed each morning. My boys will grow up too soon and I don't want to miss these precious years. So, ignore the spit-up on my shirt, overlook my messy house & hair....we've been too busy having fun.




 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! It was heartwarming and a great reminder of the important things in life. I love you Dana Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great attitude. We just need to enjoy these moments while we still have them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen! I love it and it's just the motto I need to get me through the winter here.

    ReplyDelete