Saturday, March 12, 2011

Virginia has my Heart.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhahhhhhh......that's the feeling I get the moment I cross the state line to Virginia. How do you not love this beautiful scenery?



In 2004 my parents retired and moved down to southern Virginia where they built their retirement home on 60 acres of land. The nearest town is 15 miles away, but my Bed Bath & Beyond is in the city....50 miles EACH way. I have the option to take the highway to work, but don't the mountains & farmland look so much more enjoyable?



You know you're in the country when the speed limit ENDS.



All of my family lived along this road in Alleghany Springs, back in the day. There are quite a few small cemeteries on these mountains, most are filled with my ancestors. This beautiful land really touches my heart and my eyes teared up while I was driving to work yesterday - I feel so connected to this land.... I will always be a Virginia girl; it's in my blood.



It's not the country without a country store. I remember as a child stopping at this store- my parents would buy us candy and a bottle of pop.



And I had to take a photo of my dad's truck bumper...how about that sticker? & do you recognize the man on the license plate? None other than General Robert E. Lee.



(For those who haven't caught up on the chaos of our lives.....we packed up our stuff & drove it to storage in Texas. The boys & I are in Virginia with my parents while Jason travels selling pest control for a bit.)

5 comments:

  1. I talked to your mom last weekend at Auxiliary Training. I can tell she is excited to have you home for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. Makes me miss my North Carolina too. Glad you are loving it. This is just what Stan says when he talks reverently of his beloved Virginia. Wish your drive wasn't so long, but at least you can enjoy that wonderful scenery:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos Dana! How long will you be in Virginia? I particularly enjoy the bumper sticker and end of speed limit signs. Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you drove through KY on you way and didn't call, you are goign to be in BIG trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're enjoying some time visiting your roots. I agree, it's good for the soul. Love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete